Thursday, January 12, 2012

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder

  

    We love, love, LOVE  pork shoulder (or Boston Butt) in this house. Brian always makes a dry rub for it and smokes it for hours on the smoker, basting it with homeade bar-b-que sauce. We serve it for a big group of family and friends with my famous white sauce. It is sooo good! That's why I was intrigued when I saw this recipe from NomNomPaleo for Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder. Roasting it in the oven with only vegetables and a simple rub, allowed the flavors of the pork to really come through and gave me the ability to serve it however I wanted. I served this with corn on the cob with herb butter and Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan. This dish made enough for two dinners in our family, so I will be using the leftovers for another meal.


Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
(adapted from NomNomPaleo)

3lb boneless shoulder roast (boston butt)
dry rub of your choice (I just grab whatever looks good from my cabinet)
vegetables (I had onion, carrot, and garlic on hand)


The night before, season pork with your dry rub. Really work it in, showing it some love. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat your oven to 275 and let your pork come to room temperature. Cover a pan with foil and place your veggies on the foil with the roast on top of them. Wrap the veggies and roast in the foil. Put it in the oven and forget about it for at least 6 or 7 hours. ( I checked mine at this point with a meat thermometer and it was close to being done, so I unwrapped it and roasted it about another hour.) Your roast is done when it reaches 165 degrees and is fork tender. Yummm!

When it's done, pull it out of the oven and let it rest while you prepare the rest of your meal, at least 30 minutes. Then, pull it apart with your fingers or two forks.

You could use bbq sauce..or ranch...or whatever tickles your fancy. But it really doesn't need anything. We ate it plain.



I wanted simple sides to go with my simple roast. I wrapped corn on the cob in paper towels and microwaved them for 8 minutes. I chopped up some fresh herbs and stirred them into melted butter to brush over the top of the cooked corn.




We also had Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan which you can find here.


Voila!! Simple and delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, you own such a charming blog, couldn't help commenting on it! Also I wanted to ask you one thing that I am curious of. Is that a premium theme that you purchase online or you used a default one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That is very sweet. I just used a default theme.

      Delete