Friday, January 20, 2012

Rosemary-Balsamic Butternut Squash



   It's been a few days since my last post. Lots of things have been going on around here! I started working on a lot of crafts for Ethan's 1st birthday party coming up in March.  After spending about three hours working on it the first night, I felt very accomplished to have started a few things and even completely finished one project! I was so proud of how great it looked, I took a few pictures to show the girls at work. I left everything on my craft table when I went to bed, knowing I would pick it back up the next night. In the morning, Ethan got up and we followed our normal routine; bottle for him, coffee for me. I went to turn on Good Morning America and....wait, did I mention Ethan is going through this stage where he likes to shake and rock things? Yeah, well, my craft table with my cup of coffee sitting on it was his latest victim. Needless to say, I had to start over on my one beautiful finished project!  At least I have pictures to remember the original.
    That was only the beginning to my week.  It has been crazy busy at work, Ethan is cutting yet another tooth and oh yeah, he started walking! I foresee all of my weeks in the future being just as busy and exhausting as this one. Pray for me and my sanity now that my little climbing, rocking, banging, wild child can get around on two feet!
  Through all this, I did find some time to cook. I have made this butternut squash recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen several times now. It has become a regular side dish in our house. Every time I make it, it seems better than the last. This time, I served it with grilled pork tenderloin and grilled asparagus. Yummm!


  Rosemary-Balsamic Butternut Squash

2 lbs. butternut squash cubes (one large squash)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss squash cubes with olive oil, 1 Tbsp vinegar, rosemary, and salt&pepper. Arrange on baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes, turn and roast about 20 more minutes.
Remove from oven and toss with additional vinegar ans salt&pepper.

(note: As with most dishes, I have never measured any of these ingredients. These are the measurements she gives in her recipe)



   For the pork tenderloin, I used some of the same flavors. The night before, I made a marinade with balsamic vinegar, chopped rosemary, garlic, crushed red pepper, and olive oil. I poked holes all over the tenderloin so the marinade could really sink in and marinated it overnight. I took it out of the fridge when Brian started the grill so it could come to room temp before cooking. He grilled it for about 30-40 minutes.




    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment