Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pizza Stuffed Portobellos



    I am still lugging around some unwanted baby weight. I am not one of those people who doesn't have to try and is just magically skinny again a few months later. It's genetics....and maybe my inability to put my fork down or pass the cupcake truck. My New Year's resolution is to lose the rest of this baby weight. Well, not really, because I don't do New Year's resolutions and I'm not going on a diet. I have an everyday resolution to be more healthy. Basically, I'm going to eat more fruits and vegetables, less sugar and junk, and drink more water. I know from experience that diets don't work. It's stressful and you usually either give up or gain the weight back. So that's why I decided to just focus on being healthier and the rest will follow.
   I had to do an overhaul on my dinner rotation. No more cheese covered calorie-laden casseroles and fried yummy goodness. I love stuffed mushrooms but wanted to make them into an entree instead of an appetizer. Brian loves pizza. Enter: Pizza stuffed Portobellos. These are gooey, satisfying, and much healthier than pizza. They are also versatile. Maybe next time I'll make mexican stuffed portobellos.



Pizza Stuffed Portobellos

4 portobello mushrooms
1/2 onion , chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic,minced
3oz. cream cheese ( I used less fat kind)
bunch of pepperoni , quartered
pizza sauce
mozzarella cheese
parmesan cheese
crushed red pepper
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Prepare mushrooms; Wipe clean, remove gills and stems

Saute onion and peppers in olive oil, until soft. Add garlic and saute another minute.
Combine veggie mixture with cream cheese and pepperoni. Add red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste

Spoon a little pizza sauce in bottom of mushroom, then veggie mixture, a little more sauce, then top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment