Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Potatoes Au Gratin with Gruyere and Caramelized Onions



   This dish is pure indulgence! It isn't light or healthy in any way, shape, or form. But, it is utterly delicious! This is strictly for special occasions and it is sure to impress your guests. I made this last Sunday along with Beer-Can Chicken for my birthday dinner. I knew we needed some kind of potato dish, and while my mind was telling me to healthfully roast some potatoes in olive oil, my belly was telling me to smother them in cream and cheese. Of course, as usual, my stomach growled louder than my brain. Happy Birthday to me!



Potatoes Au Gratin with Gruyere and Caramelized Onions

2lbs Russet potatoes
5 sweet onions
3 Tbsp + 1Tbsp butter
olive oil
8oz shredded Gruyere
3 cloves garlic
fresh thyme
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup panko
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
salt&pepper

For the onions:

Thinly slice onions. Heat 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt.
Let onions cook for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally, so they caramelize but don't burn. If they start to get dry, or burn, add a little olive oil to the pan. You can also add a small amount of sugar to help with the caramelization process, but I find this step unnecessary.
Set onions aside. 

For the potatoes:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place garlic and a few sprigs thyme in a small saucepan with heavy cream. Let simmer.
Slice the potatoes very thin (about 1/8 inch thick). Place a single layer of potato slices in the bottom of a large casserole dish, slightly overlapping. Top with 1/3 of the Gruyere and 1/3 onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat with 2 more layers finishing with Gruyere and onions.
Remove cream from heat and discard herbs and garlic. Pour over potatoes.
Combine panko, Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Spread evenly over top of casserole. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!



Find the recipe for Beer-Can Chicken with White BBQ Sauce here.

No comments:

Post a Comment