Sunday, February 19, 2012

Garlic-Encrusted Baby Back Ribs


  When Brian and I got married in 2009, my parents gave us one of the most awesome gifts I've ever received. They collected tons of yummy recipes, from family and friends, and compiled them into a cookbook for us. It was so thoughtful and creative and it was obvious how much time and effort they had put into typing the recipes, finding pictures to go along with them, and arranging them by category into a lovely book. It contains some of my favorite recipes I grew up enjoying and lots of new ones begging to be tried. Three years later, I still use my cookbook regularly. It is, by far, my favorite cookbook I own. Not only because it is sentimental, but because it contains so many wonderful recipes.
   Both of these recipes came straight from my Daddy's kitchen. That's how I knew they would be so delicious. My Dad is the best cook I know and I credit him for my prowess in the kitchen. The ribs are sweet and garlicky and the best part is they are prepared in the oven! I love that I can cook finger-licking good ribs without having to fire up the grill. These ribs are easy to throw together and the oven does all of the work. The baby blue salad is the perfect accompaniment for the ribs. It's fresh and simple and together they make the perfect light meal.




Garlic-Encrusted Baby Back Ribs

1/4 cup olive oil
10 cloves garlic, minced
3 sprigs rosemary, coarsely chopped
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 lbs baby back pork ribs
1/2 cup BBQ sauce

In a bowl, combine first 7 ingredients.
Place ribs in a shallow baking dish and pierce meat all over to allow the marinade to penetrate. Rub the marinade into the meat with your hands until ribs are entirely coated with garlic and herbs. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Transfer ribs to a baking dish large enough to hold ribs in one layer. Reserve marinade. Brush both sides of ribs with BBQ sauce and arrange, meat side up, in dish. Roast on middle rack for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is cooked and tender, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
Increase temperature to 500 degrees. Bake another 15 minutes, until edges are crispy. Remove from oven, cut into sections, and serve.



Baby Blue Salad

1 bag spring mix lettuce
bleu cheese, crumbled
Mandarin orange slices
strawberries, quartered
walnuts
balsamic vinaigrette

Toss lettuce mix with balsamic vinaigrette and bleu cheese. Top with oranges, strawberries, and walnuts.



Enjoy!

1 comment: